Daniel Denvir, City Paper
– Lawyer Valerie Heppel was frustrated last month as she struggled to defend inmate Gary Wimbush against charges that he assaulted a corrections officer at a Philadelphia city prison. The District Attorney’s office had a video of the incident, but had not yet reviewed it.
Anna Orso, Billy Penn
– Just a week before he leaves office, Gov. Tom Corbett gave a parting gift Tuesday: He signed five execution warrants and scheduled March lethal injection dates for five Pennsylvania inmates sitting on death row.
Michael Rubinkam, Associated Press
– Armed with a new state law, pro-gun groups have stepped up their attack on municipal firearms ordinances in Pennsylvania, with the National Rifle Association suing Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Lancaster over gun-control measures each has passed.
Michael Matza, The Inquirer
– Angela Navarro, the Honduran mother who in November took sanctuary in a West Kensington church, has won a reprieve from deportation.
Julianna Reyes, Technical.ly Philly
– Officer Melissa Panebianco followed Quider Johnson from pawn shop to pawn shop for three months before he got arrested last March.